Sunday, January 12, 2014

Introduction

Hello,

     I am Trevor Ashmore, I have lived in Michigan almost my entire life.   I grew up in Saginaw, MI and graduated from Heritage High School in 2003,  I was unsure of what I wanted to do or what I wanted to be.  I have always had an interest in Aviation, I remember when my parents bought me Flight Simulator 2000 and I would sit in the back room of our house and fly all different types of aircraft.

     On March 24,2004, I made a decision with my best friend to join the Army.  I spent the next four months in Fort Benning, Georgia for basic training.  At the end of boot camp, I received orders for my new assignment to Fort Riley, Kansas.  I was assigned to 1st Brigade 16th Infantry Division where I would serve the next four years of my life. While I was at Fort Riley some of my accomplishments were, promoted to Sergeant, managed several employees.  I was awarded the Army Commendation Medal for saving an officer and Driver and Mechanic Badge for driving over 8,000 miles with no accidents for safety.  I also was in a leadership school called Warrior Leaders Course. I evaluated and oversaw upper level management and analyzed confidential material.  I served my first combat tour of duty with this unit for Operation Iraqi Freedom '06-08'.

     At the end of my first enlistment I received orders to go overseas in July 2008, and was assigned to Alpha Company 2nd Brigade 28th Infantry Division and was given the opportunity to serve in Grafenwoher, Germany.  While in Germany I was immediately put in a position of higher authority and served as a squad leader while only holding the rank of Sergeant.  Some of my accomplishments while serving here are managing other Sergeant ranked personnel and passing Advanced Leaders Course.  I was awarded Army Achievement Medal for qualifying all my men in my squad expert on small arms. I also made the cover of the Army magazine in 2009.  I was assigned to Operation Iraqi Freedom for a second tour in '08-10'.  I served a total of eight years in the Army with two combat tours under my belt.

     I currently am a student at Eastern Michigan University in the aviation flight technology program.  I started the program in the fall of 2011 after exiting the military service in July 2011.  I took my first flight lesson in a Cessna 172 on April 28th, 2012 and from that day on I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I completed all my certificates on September 2nd, 2013 and currently hold a multi engine commercial certificate with instrument rating.  I also have my high performance endorsement where I was able to fly a Cessna 206.  I have used all my military training towards my college experience at Eastern Michigan University.  I have made the Dean's list for the fourth straight semester in a row and will graduate within 3 years with honors.  I will be the first person in my family to graduate with a Bachelors degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment